6 March 2018
Help available to South Yorkshire Charities and Community Groups…
Help Available to South Yorkshire Charities and Community Groups…
Sheffield Mutual Friendly Society launched its Community Fund back in January 2014 and has continued it each year since. Donations are available for amounts up to £1,000 in line with the following criteria:
- The donation should benefit a South Yorkshire community or elsewhere if nominated by an existing member of the Society
- Priority will be given to projects or initiatives aimed at relieving hardship, poverty or suffering
- Donations will not be made to individuals, companies, political parties or religious groups (unless the project will benefit the wider community)
- Donations are not normally available to cover general running costs, but must be for specific projects, initiatives, services, facilities or equipment
- Donations are not available for statutory services, such as libraries and hospitals
The Society is a mutual and is owned by and run solely for the benefit of its members not shareholders. Members of the Society support the Society assisting local charities and good causes in the course of doing business.
Chief Executive Tony Burdin said: “We’re keen to ensure that our Community Fund is fully utilised, so I would encourage any local good causes looking for funding, within our criteria, to apply. We are also asking for nominations for our 2018 Charity Award and you have until 31st March 2018 to nominate a charity to be put to a public vote. The top 3 charities as voted for by you, will each earn a donation, which is £5,000 for first place.”
Interested local charities and community groups can apply for a Community Fund donation, or nominate a charity to be considered for the Charity Award, by writing to Tony Burdin, Chief Executive, at 3 Maple Park, Maple Court, Tankersley, Barnsley S75 3DP, or via the Society’s website www.sheffieldmutual.com/in-the-community.