The current and past bonus rates can be found in the table below. The 2017 Interim Rate is used for maturities and claims prior to the next declaration. It is not a reliable indicator of future bonus rates.
Bonus History Sheet - Issued March 2017 (343.7K, .PDF)
* Before deduction of the 1.5% annual management charge for ISAs/JISAs
** a 2.5% terminal bonus (1.0% prior to 20 March 2017) will be paid on maturing endowments (Policy types 23, 24 and 27).
† A 5% Terminal bonus will be paid on bonds invested over 5 years and on types 30 & 31 (Insurance) ISAs taken out in 2003/04 and for ISA subscriptions in the 2009/10, 2010/11 and 2011/12 tax years (2009/10 only prior to 20 March 2017).
|Premium Income £m*||4.21||5.65||9.69||13.05||17.5|
|Total Assets £m||57.3||68.3||77.5||90.4||113.8|
|Number Of Members*||8,032||8,508||9,189||9,955||10,678|
|Number Of Policies*||9,580||10,274||11,281||12,416||13,654|
* Excluding Child Trust Fund.
2016 Business & Financial Highlights:
- Total assets increased by 26% to £113.8 million (£90.4 million in 2015)
- New policies increased by 10% to 1,915 (1,736 in 2015)
- Premium income increased by 34% to £17.5 million (£13.1 million in 2015)
- Membership grew by 7% to 10,678 (9,955 in 2015)
- Including the Child Trust Fund the Society now has 77,266 policies and accounts
Sheffield Mutual generates investment returns for its policyholders through a diversified with-profits fund, which achieved an excellent investment return of 7.22% in 2016. This result, combined with the fact that Sheffield Mutual has no shareholders to pay, enabled the Society to distribute annual bonuses to policyholders worth around £1.5 million (£1.2 million in 2015).
The Society has maintained a strong financial base and its surplus of £15.04 million (£13.36 million at 01 Jan 2016), which are the surplus assets in excess of technical provisions, are 136% of the solvency capital requirement.
Commenting on the results, Tony Burdin, Chief Executive, said: "It is very timely to achieve the £100 million milestone in our 125th year. Our assets were just £20 million in 2006, so it demonstrates clearly the Society’s impressive growth and development over the past decade. We expect another good year of growth in 2017, especially as the ISA allowance is increasing to £20,000 per individual for the 2017-18 tax-year.”
We hold a significant proportion of commercial property as we can generate good yields from long term leases with reputable tenants. We maintain a reasonable exposure to shares in order to maintain the value of investments over time but hold some of the funds in other assets to improve diversification and spread risk. Please see the current asset allocation mix below as at 31 December 2016:
|Gilts, Bonds & Fixed Interest||18%|
|Fixed Term Lease Commercial Property||49%|
Why choose Sheffield Mutual?
- The majority of our products have a guaranteed sum assured (final amount) for more than you will pay in
- As a mutual we have no shareholders to satisfy so all our surplus profits are shared with you, our members
- The Society operates an active Market Value Reduction (MVR) policy but has never imposed an MVR, although this is no guarantee of the future
- When you contact Sheffield Mutual you can be guaranteed a friendly and personal service, you will never be put through to a call centre
- The Society offers discretionary member benefits such as optical and dental grants and the Tell-a-Friend scheme
It is our aim not to invest knowingly or directly in industries relating to armaments, tobacco, gambling or pornography.