In the Community
In line with our history, heritage and ethical values, Sheffield Mutual Friendly Society is committed to helping good causes in the course of doing business.
2018 Charity Award
Earlier this year we asked our members and the general public to nominate Yorkshire based charities. The nominations were short listed down to the final 10 by the Committee of Management and then put to the public vote back in March.
The final 10 charities were: Candlelighters, DSWESTPENNINE, Epilepsy Action, Headway Sheffield, Leukaemia Care, Rotherham Federation of Communities, Sheffield Churches Council for Community Care, Sheffield Royal Society for the Blind, Second Thoughts and last but not least The Cathedral Archer Project.
Voting closed on 31st July 2018 and the winners have been announced as follows:
1st place £5,000 - The Cathedral Archer Project
2nd place £1,500 - Sheffield Churches Council for Community Care
3rd place £1,000 - Sheffield Royal Society for the Blind
Read the full stories here: www.sheffieldmutual.com/blog
Support Dogs is a national charity based in Sheffield who provide and train dogs to assist people with epilepsy, disabilities and autism. They train seizure alert dogs to provide a 100% reliable warning of up to 50 minutes prior to an oncoming seizure – essentially they are giving people their lives back.
Sheffield Mutual has been working with Support Dogs since 2012, our funding has previously sponsored the training of assistance dogs Poppy and Zippy and we've recently had the priviledge of naming one of the dogs and following a suggestion from one of our Facebook followers, we decided on the name Smurf: Smurf… Sheffield..Mutual..Friendly Society. Staff have had a big involvement too, with 3 of the team completing Skydives raising over £2,000!
Danny Anderson, Fundraising Manager at Support Dogs said: “Sheffield Mutual’s support for our work in improving the lives of those affected by autism, epilepsy and disability has been phenomenal. They are a company who really care about their community and put so much back into it. We are thrilled with our relationship with them and delighted that they are able sponsor our annual Graduation Ceremony.”
Sheffield Mutual is pleased to be sponsoring their 2018 Graduation too!
Sheffield Mutual Community Fund
Each year the Society will aim to make funds available for donations to smaller local charities, community groups and voluntary organisations from the Sheffield Mutual Community Fund. Simply print, complete and return the form below to request a donation. Please read the 'Donations Policy' below before you apply.
In addition to supporting our staff chosen charity as outlined above, further donations up to £1,000 may be awarded to local charities, community, and voluntary and self-help groups in line with the following criteria:
- it must address a community issue or need
- it must come from South Yorkshire or from elsewhere if nominated by an existing member of the Society
- priority will be given to projects or initiatives aimed at relieving hardship, poverty or suffering
- recipient charities and good causes will be required to use their best endeavours to promote the Mutual Friends scheme and must agree to participate in publicity photos etc. if required
All applications will be considered by a selection panel made up of staff and committee members. The panel's decision will be final.
There are a few standard exclusions to be aware of:
- Donations will not be made to individuals, companies, political parties or religious groups (unless the project will benefit the wider community)
- Donations are not normally available for the benefit of overseas communities
- Donations are not normally available to cover general running costs, but must be for specific projects, initiatives, services, facilities or equipment
- Donations are not available for statutory services, such as libraries and hospitals
- Charities or groups who have received a donation within the last 12 months should not apply
Community Fund Application Form (407.5K, .PDF)
Sheffield Mutual will consider requests for local sponsorship. The sponsorship must be consistent with our values and with the intention of benefiting communities within the Society’s South Yorkshire heartland.
Contact us now if you want to discuss a particular sponsorship opportunity.